History

First Baptist Church

New Lisbon, WI

Founded 1854

Over 160 years of faithfully proclaiming God’s Word

“And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: not forsaking the assembling
of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much more, as ye
see the day approaching.” Hebrews 10:24-25

___________________________________________________________________________

FORMER PASTORS OF FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH

1854…………Elder John Macomber

1857……………………Elder A. Knapp

1861…………………………..H.C. Fuller

1861…………..…………G.W. Freeman

1867 ……….…..….…….E.B. Edmunds

1868…………….……….…….H.C. Fuller

1871…………….…………….C.K. Culver

1875……………..……….Cyrus Thomas

1883 ……………..…………R.F. Parshall

1887……………..……Enoch Pickering

1893…………………Charles Woodruff

1896………………………….O.M. Carter

1898…………………..…..R.L. Bunyard

1900………………………W.B. Stubber

1908…………………….Wallace Wood

1909…………….…………J.R. Murton

1914………………….M.C. Carstensen

1914…………………..William Preston

1918………………………..E.H.Olander

1920……………………….…M.Doherty

1922…………………….Arthur Woods

1926………………………C.E. O’Bierne

1930…………….……….C.I. Peterson

1938……………………….Hilding Lind

1942.………………………John Schott

1945……………..……..Wilson Martin

1954…..………………..Glen Teasdale

1964…………………..…Robert Ibach

1968 …………………..Ralph Melford

1976……………………William Carter

1981………………………Robert Lowe

1982……………….Harold Reemtsma

1992…………………..Lance Ketchum

2001………………….Kenneth L. Owens

HIGHLIGHTS IN THE HISTORY OF OUR CHURCH

1854 Early Baptist settlers came together on August 27 here in the town of Lisbon
to plan and organize a Baptist church. The following resolution was
adopted:
Recognizing as we do the institution and the ordinances of
the gospel of Christ as binding upon us, be it resolved that
for the purpose of establishing and maintaining, we, the un-
designed, agree to unite in the formation of a Baptist
Church to be known and called, “The Regular Baptist
Church Of Christ in Lisbon, Adams County, Wisconsin.
On September 2, the articles of faith and practice and the church covenant
were unanimously adopted.

1857 Sunday school enrollment was 25. The church entered into fellowship with
the Dodge Baptist Association.

1859 The church helped to start the Baptist Church of Clifton.

1861 The first church building was dedicated, and Pastor’s salary was $150.00 for six
months.

1862 The Mite Society raised funds for melodeon to be used in the church.

1872 Church membership was listed at 118.

1884 Church membership was listed at 130 resident members and Sunday
school enrollment at 75. Contributions for missions were $6.00.

1887 A missionary society was formed.

1891 The young people organized themselves into the Berean Alliance, later
called the B.Y.P.U.

1892 The church was remodeled.

1896 The church helped to start the Baptist Church of Hustler.

1904 Sunday School enrollment was listed at 71 and the church’s resident
members at 50. Denominational benevolence was $5.00.

1905 The first church parsonage was built on a lot donated by Nelson Macomber.

The church’s Ladies’ Aid Society took on the indebtedness of the parsonage
and paid for its upkeep.

1922 The first vacation Bible school was held.

1926-9 Mrs. Heath presented the church with a pipe organ in memory of her husband.

1929 Sunday school enrollment was listed at 130 memberships at 105,
Denominational benevolence was $171.00

1930-7 The church building was raised and a basement was installed. Pews
were installed in the church. Mrs. Florence Brewster presented the church with
stained glass windows, in memory of her husband.

1934 Benevolences totaled $236.64.

1942 The mortgage was paid in full to the Northern Baptist Convention.

1944 Benevolences totaled $523.36.

1947 The church withdrew from the Northern Baptist Convention. A missions
committee was formed. Prior to this all missions’ offerings went to the
Northern Baptist Convention. The missionary budget was $550.00.

1950 The missionary budget was increased to $760.00.

1951-3 The morning services were broadcast over the radio.

1952 The constitution was revised. The church voted to join the Conservative
Baptist Association of Wisconsin.

1953 A building fund was established to remodel the church.

1954 Active membership consisted of 156 members. The missionary budget was
set at $1,100.00.

1955 New chairs and pulpit were purchased, and a matching communion table
was donated in Memory of Mrs. Mary Louse See by her friends and family.
Sunday school enrollment was 135.

1956 A grand piano and a large projection screen were donated to the church by
the Senior Young People.

1957 The missionary budget was $2000.00.

1958 The new additions to the church building were finished and dedicated. Mr.
and Mrs. W. L. Rothe presented the church with a Dulciana Rank of Pipes
for the organ. The active membership was 145. Sunday school average was
125. Missionary giving was $3398.09.

1965 The new parsonage was built.

1968 “Dial-a-Prayer” began. This was a series of short telephone messages
designed to give people spiritual help and encouragement.

1974 The AWANA Club ministry was begun.

1977 The new church building was finished and dedicated in October.

1974 A gymnasium/all-purpose room and locker rooms were added on to the
church building.

1977 The church sends approximately 60 young people to Camp Chetek and
Vacation Bible school averages 100, including teachers/workers.

1986 A gymnasium/all-purpose room and locker rooms were added to the building.

1989 The church sends approximately 60 young people to Camp Chetek and Vacation Bible
School averages 100, including teachers/workers.

1996 The missionary budget was $27,204.00.

1999 A new kitchen, and Sunday school rooms were added to the existing
fellowship hall, and the old kitchen was changed into a handicapped
restroom, janitor’s closet, crib room, and nursery restroom.

2001 The missionary budget was $29,022.00.

2004 The church sign in the front of the building was rebuilt and a time capsule
was placed in the base.